A Step-By-Step Guide To Consular Processing

If you are outside of the United States, you may apply at a U.S. Department of State consulate abroad for an Immigrant Visa in order to come to the U.S. and be admitted as a permanent resident. This method is called “Consular Processing”.

Already in the United States? You can apply for permanent resident status here. This process commonly known as adjustment of status. For more information, see the Adjustment of Status page.

Timeline For Consular Processing


1. Determine The Basis For Immigration

Before you can do anything else, you must find out if you are eligible to apply for a Green Card (lawful permanent residence). Eligibility is usually established when a relative or employer files a petition for you.  Depending on your circumstances, you may also become eligible by first obtaining refugee or asylum status, or through a number of other special provisions. To see the many different ways to get a Green Card, go to the Green Card Eligibility Categories page.

Read more


2. File the Immigrant Petition

When you know what category you believe best fits your situation, you usually will need someone else to file an immigrant petition for you.

Although you usually file immigrant petitions with USCIS domestically, sometimes you can file a Form I-130 petition for an immediate relative (spouse, child, or parent of a U.S. citizen) with a USCIS field office, U.S. embassy or consulate abroad. Situations where this may be applicable include:

  • If you, the petitioner, are a U.S. citizen and
  • There is an international USCIS field office located in the country in which you reside, or,
  • If you reside within the consular office’s jurisdiction for countries in which there is no USCIS field office and exceptional circumstances (PDF, 61 KB) exist that warrant the local filing.
  • Members of the military
  • Emergency situations
  • Situations involving the health or safety of the petitioner
  • When in the national interests of the United States

Read More


3. Await the official decision on your petition

USCIS will let the petitioner know about its decision in an official notification. If the petition is denied, the reasons will be set forth in the notification, along with information about your ability to appeal.  If the petition is approved and you live outside the United States (or live in the United States but want to apply for your immigrant visa abroad), USCIS forwards the approved petition to the Department of State’s National Visa Center. The petition is held there until an immigrant visa number becomes available for you. See the Visa Availability & Priority Dates pages for more information.

Read more


4. Wait for Notification from the National Visa Center

The National Visa Center (NVC) is tasked with collecting visa application fees and supporting documentation. The NVC notifies the petitioner and you (the beneficiary) when the visa petition is received and again when an immigrant visa number is about to become available. They will also inform you when you must submit immigrant visa processing fees (also known as “fee bills”) and supporting documentation.

Read more


5. Go to Your Appointment

Once a visa is available or your  priority date is current (earlier than the cut-off date listed in the monthly Visa Bulletin), an interview will be scheduled. The consular office will also review all of the relevant information about your case and make a determination about your eligibility for an immigrant visa.

Read more


6. After Your Visa is Granted

If you are granted an immigrant visa, you’ll get an information packet from the consular officer.  This packet is known as a “Visa Packet.” Do not open it. At this time, you should pay a USCIS Immigrant Fee, which is used to process your immigrant visa packet and produce your Green Card. It is best to do so online after you receive your visa packet and before you leave for the United States. When you arrive  you should give your Visa Packet to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer at the port of entry. The CBP officer will then decide whether to admit you into the United States as a lawful permanent resident. If you are admitted, you will have lawful permanent resident status and be able to live and work in the United States permanently.

Read more


7. Get Your Green Card

If you paid the USCIS Immigrant Fee, you will receive your Green Card in the mail after you arrive in the United States. If you do not receive your Green Card within 45 days after you get here, please call the  USCIS Contact Center at 800-375-5283 or make an InfoPass appointment to visit your local USCIS field office. If you did not pay the USCIS Immigrant Fee before you arrived in the United States, you will need to pay the fee before USCIS will send you a Green Card.

Read more

How I can Check my case status?

You may check your case status online or call our USCIS Contact Center at 800-375-5283 to check the status of your Form I-485

What is concurrent filing?

Not long time ago USCIS’s, implemented a new rule allowing the filing of an I-485 and a Form I-140 petition at the same time and provided a visa number is availablity at the time of filing. Concurrent filing associated with EB-1 and EB-2 beneficiaries.

How long will I have to wait for approve my application?
Once you file your Application for Adjustment of Status on Form I-485, the length of time it will take depends upon the current processing time and that can vary depending upon your location. It depends on whether your Green card application is employment-based or family-based or other immigration category.  Employment-based adjustments can take anywhere from six months to two years to be approved. Family-based, it could take at least 12-18 months or longer before your I-485 application could be adjudicated. 
Can I leave the country while my adjustment is pending?

Yes, but only if you have received advance parole (referred as a travel document). Once you eligible to apply for an adjustment of status, You can apply for advance parole with form I-131 at the same. Once their travel documents are approved, even with pending adjustment applications, you be able to travel (as long as their adjustments remain pending).

Contact with Attorney J.Greenberg ⚖️

5 + 15 =

☎ Call today for a free Green Card consultation

The U.S. Green Card process is very complicated, so the best chance of success comes by working with an experienced immigration attorney.  We are highly experienced in US immigration law. Our attorneys, translators and support staff will work with you individually to give you the best chance of success possible. We know how difficult the Adjustment of Status process can be, and we will be with you every step of the way.

Your citizenship and your residency status is something you should entrust to a professional. Call the top New York Immigration Attorneys at toll free at  (888) ZONTLAW / (888) 9668529


Our online tool makes it so easy to complete your immigration paperwork


Your Attorney Compiles your Case, you Sign, and your Attorney Submits. Your attorney prepares all necessary USCIS forms and any supporting materials in their power. If there is supporting documentation that only you as the client have access to (ex: former employer letters), they will tell you exactly what you need to do and provide you with samples, so you can get the correct documentation. Once everything is ready, your attorney will compile your case into a professional legal petition, with a cover letter and a table of contents that will please USCIS and/or the other immigration authorities. They will check everything again, and send it to you to print and sign, via our secure online system. You will print and sign your completed case, and mail it to us in the envelope we provide. Your attorney will verify that you signed in the correct places, and they will send it off to the correct USCIS Dropbox, processing center, or other authority. It is possible that USCIS or other immigration authorities may request additional documentation/clarification regarding your petition. Your attorney will handle any such requests, communicating with you as required. Please visit our How our Legal Services Work page.*


Be aware of all the developments in US Immigration Policy

will always keep you up to date on Facebook

888-ZONTLAW (9668529)    support@zontlaw.com

888 - ZONTLAW (9668529)


160 Broadway 4th floor New York NY 10038, 1733 Sheepshead Bay Rd Suite 22, Brooklyn, NY 11235

160 Broadway 4th floor

New York NY 10038

Follow us

Follow us

Receive the latest new

Receive the latest news

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This