Green Card for Immediate Relatives of U.S. Citizen

Start for free – Don’t pay until you’re finished!
You are an immediate relative if you are:
If you are an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen, you can become a lawful permanent resident (get a Green Card) based on your family relationship if you meet certain eligibility requirements.
  • The spouse of a U.S. citizen;
  • The unmarried child under 21 years of age of a U.S. citizen; or
  • The parent of a U.S. citizen (if the U.S. citizen is 21 years of age or older).
Eligibility for Adjustment of Status
If you are currently in the United States, in order to be eligible for a Green Card as an immediate relative, you must meet the following requirements:
  • You were inspected and admitted or inspected and paroled into the United States;
  • You are physically present in the United States at the time you file your Form I-485;
  • You are eligible to receive an immigrant visa;
  • An immigrant visa is immediately available to you at the time you file your Form I-485 and at the time USCIS makes a final decision on your application;
    • Note: A visa is always available for immediate relatives.
  • The relationship to the family member who filed Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, for you still exists;
  • None of the applicable bars to adjustment apply to you;
  • You are admissible to the United States for lawful permanent residence or eligible for a waiver of inadmissibility or other form of relief; and
Inspected and Admitted or Inspected and Paroled Generally, to be eligible to adjust status, you must be present in the United States after being “inspected and admitted” or “inspected and paroled” by an immigration officer. There are some limited exceptions to this eligibility requirement. For more information on this requirement, see USCIS Policy Manual Volume 7, Adjustment of Status, Part B, Chapter 2, Section A, “Inspected and Admitted” or “Inspected and Paroled”. Eligibility to Receive an Immigrant Visa You are eligible to receive an immigrant visa if you are the beneficiary of:
  • An approved Form I-130 on your behalf;
  • A pending Form I-130 (that is ultimately approved); or
  • A Form I-130 (that is ultimately approved) filed together with your Form I-485.
Bars to Adjustment
Depending on how you entered the United States or if you committed a particular act or violation of immigration law, you may be barred from adjusting status. You are ineligible to apply for adjustment of status if one or more bars to adjustment listed in section 245(c) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) apply to you. For more information, please see USCIS Policy Manual Volume 7, Adjustment of Status, Part B, 245(a) Adjustment. Applying Under INA 245(i) You may be able to adjust status under INA section 245(i) even if you are subject to one or more adjustment bars and are therefore ineligible for adjustment of status under INA section 245(a).  See the separate Instructions for Form I-485 Supplement A, Adjustment of Status Under Section 245(i) (PDF, 264 KB) for more information.
Grounds of Inadmissibility
To qualify for a Green Card, you must be admissible to the United States. Reasons why you may be inadmissible are listed in INA 212(a) and are called grounds of inadmissibility. In general, USCIS can only approve your Green Card application if none of the grounds of inadmissibility apply to you. As the immediate relative of a U.S. citizen, the following ground of inadmissibility does not apply to you:
  • Labor certification and qualifications for certain immigrants (INA 212(a)(5))
If you are inadmissible, the law may allow you to apply for a waiver of inadmissibility or other form of relief. See Form I-601, Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility and Form I-212, Application for Permission to Reapply for Admission into the United States after Deportation or Removal. If a waiver or other form of relief is granted, USCIS may approve your application for a Green Card if you are otherwise eligible. Whether a waiver or other form of relief is available depends on the specific inadmissibility ground(s) that applies to you and the category you are adjusting under. Eligibility requirements for waivers and other forms of relief vary. For information on the grounds of inadmissibility and waivers, please see USCIS Policy Manual Volume 8, Admissibility, and Volume 9, Waivers.
How to Apply
If you are currently in the United States and you meet certain other requirements, you may file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status to apply for a Green Card without leaving the country.  This is called “adjustment of status.” As an immediate relative, you may file your Form I-485 together (“concurrently”) with the Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative filed on your behalf, while the Form I-130 is pending, or after the Form I-130 is approved (and remains valid). For more information, see our pages on Concurrent Filing and the Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. Immigrant visas for immediate relatives of U.S. citizens are unlimited, so the visas are always available.
What to Submit
You should submit the following documentation and evidence to apply for a Green Card as an immediate relative who is already in the United States:
  • Two passport-style photographs;
  • Copy of your government-issued identity document with photograph;
  • Copy of your birth certificate;
  • Certified police and court records of all criminal charges, arrests, or convictions regardless of final disposition (if applicable);
Note: Certain forms, including Form I-485, have a filing fee (see below) . You must submit the correct filing fee for each form, unless you are exempt or eligible for a fee waiver.
Title USCIS Fee Biometrics Fee
Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status
  • A biometric services fee is required from applicants 14 - 78 years of age.
$1,140 85
Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status
  • If under 14 years of age and Filing with the Form I-485 of at least one parent;
$750 N/A
Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status
  • If under 14 years of age and NOT filing with the Form I-485 of at least one parent.
$1,140 N/A
Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status
  • If filing for adjustment as a refugee under INA section 209(a) 
No Fee N/A
Employment Authorization and Advance Parole Documents
Generally, when you have a pending Form I-485, you may apply for employment authorization by filing a Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization. You may also apply for an advance parole document by filing a Form I-131, Application for Travel Document. An advance parole document authorizes you to appear at a port-of entry to seek parole into the United States after temporary travel abroad. If you need to leave the United State temporarily while your Form I-485 is pending, please see the Instructions for Application for Travel Document for more information. Generally, if you have a pending Form I-485 and you leave the United States without an advance parole document, you will have abandoned your application.

More Features

100% Secure

Where and what

Up-to-date Forms

Comprehensive forms

Error Checking

Evidence Checklist


She was perfect! It was such a luck to have Julia Greenberg referred to me by my acquaintance. She is the most caring and helpful attorney I have ever worked with. She is very professional and knowledgeable in the immigration law, and she gave me great advice! I appreciate most that she is always available by phone or returns missed calls shortly – this is something that many attorneys in NYC do not do or have their assistants do who never give the correct answer. I approached Julia to help me prepare for my citizenship interview since I had, frankly speaking, not an easy case, and she did the best  job I could expect. I could not imagine how my interview would have gone without her; her support was significant! If I ever have a question about any immigration matter I would definitely ask Julia for help again. Awesome

Anya Shapkina  on July 6, 2017

Julia Greenberg helps me during the interview process and advises me on the process followed. She is very supportive and handles. She impressed me not only with the professionalism, but also with the art of communication as an outstanding attorney.She is quick to respond to any question that I have. Julia has helped me every step of the way with my case. Thank you!!

Alie Keshfedinova

Julia is very professional, competent and knows how to get the best deal for her clients. What we appreciated about her service was that she always answered our calls or got back to us in a very short amount of time. We had a very stressful issue with the officer but Julia was able resolve it and have our case successfully processed the same day. We could have not done it without her. She is a smart lawyer and a great negotiator with a wonderful personality. Hire Julia Greenberg if you want to get a real result!


Be aware of all the developments in US Immigration Policy

will always keep you up to date on Facebook

888-ZONTLAW (9668529)

888 - ZONTLAW (9668529)

160 Broadway 4th floor New York NY 10038, 1733 Sheepshead Bay Rd Suite 22, Brooklyn, NY 11235

160 Broadway 4th floor

New York NY 10038

Follow us

Follow us

Receive the latest new

Receive the latest news

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This