Permanent Residency based on marriages that are less than 2 years old, is conditional. To become a Lawful Permanent Resident, you and your spouse will have to jointly file Form I-751 after you have been married for two years, in order to have the conditions removed

Professional Security

Using our cutting-edge online platform, you will be able to access, check the status of, and edit your case information from anywhere. Need to submit documents to your attorney? Login when it’s convenient and even from your mobile device.

Comfortably Access Your Case

Rest easy with us in charge of your personal information. We use highly advanced security measures to protect your personal data and documents. We will never release your information without your consent, to anyone.

Client Support

Reach someone from our team of experienced Attorneys and Paralegal staff from anywhere. Our team members speak English, Spanish, Russian, and Portuguese. If we can’t speak your language, we will find someone who can, and at no cost.

Excellent Services for Your $

We appreciate that you worked hard for your money. Your satisfaction is extremely important to us, and through our highly innovative online case management software, we have been able to cut costs and pass our savings on to our clients.

Conditional permanent residents receive a green card good for only 2 years. If you have a green card based on a marriage that was less than two years old when you got it, your green card is conditional. The conditional green card is similar to a probationary period. During this time, a couple will build a record of marriage and at the end of the 2 years, they will file jointly to have those conditions removed.

The conditional green card is not renewable. The conditions must be removed or the green card will be terminated, as will all the rights associated with it, including the right to live and work in the U.S.

Related form: I-751


You may be eligible to remove the residence conditions on your 2-year marriage-based green card if:

  • After 2 years, you are still married to the same U.S. citizen or permanent resident who petitioned for you.
  • As a child, you have a legitimate reason for not being able to be included in your parents’ application
  • You are a widow(er) who entered into your marriage in good faith
  • You or your child endured battery or exceptional cruelty at the hands of your U.S. citizen or permanent resident spouse after you entered into the marriage in good faith

How to Apply to Remove the Conditions

You and your spouse must apply together to remove the conditions on your residence by filing Form I-751. You should apply during the 90 days before your second anniversary as a conditional resident. The expiration date on your green card is also the date of your second anniversary as a conditional resident. If you do not apply to remove the conditions in time, you could lose your conditional resident status and be removed from the country.

If  You Are No Longer Married To Your Spouse 

You can apply to waive the joint filing requirement if you are no longer married to your spouse, or if you have been battered or abused by your U.S.-citizen or lawful permanent-resident spouse or parent.

In such cases, you may apply to remove the conditions on your permanent residence at any time after you become a conditional resident, but before you are removed !! from the country. You must provide evidence that removal from the United States would cause you extreme hardship.

How long does it take to process the I-751?

After filing the I-751 petition to remove conditions on your green card, the processing time takes about 6-12 months 

How much does Form I-751 cost?

The filing fee for Form I-751 is $595. A biometric services fee of $85 is also required.

When can I remove the conditions on my green card?

You and your spouse must apply together to remove the conditions on your residence by filing Form I-751. You should apply during the 90 days before your second anniversary as a conditional resident.

Can I travel after filing I-751?

Yes. You are still a lawful permanent resident even after your green card is expired and while your I-751 is pending. However, there are limitations on the travel rights of conditional as well as permanent residents.

Contact Attorney Igor Litvak


    💻 A step-by-step online tool to complete the application package with confidence.

    📞 Live support with the U.S.-based Zontlaw team. 

    ⚖️  Dedicated immigration attorney review your application, with opportunities to ask questions at any time.

    📬 A ready-to-submit application package, assembled precisely how the the government prefers, and mailed to your door. 

    📆 Case Tracking, updates, and advice on your case status all the way until you get your Green Card.

    Read more about everything you get by using ZONTLAW!


    This article is intended to give you an overview of the various Immigrant Family Preference Categories that exist, the number…
    Read more
    Write a review
    Джума Мыратгелдиев
    Джума Мыратгелдиев
    Great attorney, easy to work with, highly recommend, my case was dismissed Thank you so much Igor LITVAK
    Really helpful good lawyer
    Nida Kumar
    Nida Kumar
    Mr. Igor is one of the best lawyer, I have ever met. He had been so kind and full of understanding. Had a privilege to hire him to represent us in federal court. And he did everything possible, to get us out of the trouble. A true man of words. Highly recommended.
    Alexandra Dordzhieva
    Alexandra Dordzhieva
    Good lawyer, helped us in a case
    Karl Mukaz
    Karl Mukaz
    Had the best experience with Igor! Fast, reliable and professional! Highly recommend!
    Jekaterina Shapovalova
    Jekaterina Shapovalova
    Igor Litvak is an outstanding lawyer in New York, and I am beyond impressed with his level of professionalism and expertise. I recently had the privilege of working with him on a complex legal matter, and his knowledge, dedication, and attention to detail were simply unparalleled. From our initial consultation to the resolution of my case, Mr. Litvak went above and beyond to ensure that I understood all aspects of the legal process and was always kept up to date on the status of my case. He provided sound advice, was always available to answer any questions, and took a personalized approach to my legal needs. Mr. Litvak is not only a brilliant attorney, but he is also an exceptional communicator and an empathetic advocate. He is a true professional who genuinely cares about his clients and their well-being, and I would highly recommend him to anyone in need of legal services. If you want an attorney who is not only knowledgeable, but also compassionate, diligent, and committed to achieving the best possible outcome for his clients, then look no further than Mr. Litvak. He is simply the best.
    renier valle
    renier valle
    A very good attorney, I highly recommand him, i had a major criminal case which he resolved with no record. Just a great attorney.
    The best attorney you can get, he will fight for you like he did for me, he was also very detailed on the case and always answering his call, you actually get to have his cell phone. Highly recommended.
    lady jackey
    lady jackey
    Very reliable, and friendly staff, they were very patient with me throughout my vwa case It was a pleasure working with them
    Scroll to top