The M-1 Visa, a type of nonimmigrant visa, is a student visa for non-academic or vocational courses of study.

Professional Security

Using our cutting-edge online platform, you will be able to access, check the status of, and edit your case information from anywhere. Need to submit documents to your attorney? Login when it’s convenient and even from your mobile device.

Comfortably Access Your Case

Rest easy with us in charge of your personal information. We use highly advanced security measures to protect your personal data and documents. We will never release your information without your consent, to anyone.

Client Support

Reach someone from our team of experienced Attorneys and Paralegal staff from anywhere. Our team members speak English, Spanish, Russian, and Portuguese. If we can’t speak your language, we will find someone who can, and at no cost.

Excellent Services for Your $

We appreciate that you worked hard for your money. Your satisfaction is extremely important to us, and through our highly innovative online case management software, we have been able to cut costs and pass our savings on to our clients.

The U.S. issued just under 10,000 M-1 visas in 2017. It allows qualified, full-time students to complete a program at a vocational or other recognized non-academic institution (other than a language training program). Full-time means twelve credit hours a semester, at a more traditional-style school (community or junior college), or twenty-two clock hours of practical instruction/work. The program has to be pre-approved by the U.S. government (there is an exhaustive list online). You must show that you can support yourself financially, whether that is with your own assets, or with financial help from your parents or a group/organization. You cannot work while on an M-1 visa, so this is important. The visa is valid for up to one year, with extensions for up to three years. You can further extend your status, for up to six months for practical paid experience (you need at least four months in the program, for every month of authorized work). So technically you could stay in the U.S. for three and half years on an M-1 visa.


First, you must apply and be accepted to a school or program. The immigration process cannot start until you have an offer of acceptance, that you have accepted (congrats!). Then, the institution will issue you an I-20. This form will contain all the information the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) will need to keep track of your visa, throughout your time in the U.S. This information includes biographical information about you (name, birth date, citizenship, etc.), program details (start and end dates, program name), and how the student (you!) will pay for tuition and living expenses for either the year; or the end date (whichever comes first).

Next, it depends on where you currently live! If you are already in the U.S. and are transitioning to another status, you will possibly need to fill out an I-539However, it may even be possible to become a student without filling out any additional forms! You should click here (for more information on student visas generally), and click here (for more information on changing or extending your status). However, most M visas are issued to people who are currently living abroad. If you are outside of the U.S., you apply at your local embassy, interview (within 120 days of your start date), and then enter the United States. You can enter no earlier than thirty days before your program starts, and you can only stay up to thirty days after your program ends  (after your program ends plus any optional training).

Maintaining your status is critical. Once you receive your visa, there are a few conditions in order to keep your visa, but they should be manageable.

  • Have a full course load: At a community or junior college, this would mean at least twelve credit hours per semester. At a more hands-on program (where most of your hours are spent in a shop or a lab), you need at least twenty-two clock hours per week. Sometimes you can get permission from your institution for a reduced course load, but only for an illness or a medical condition.
  • Have an accurate SEVIS record: If you realize your graduation date will be later than listed on your I-20, or if you need a medical extension, then you have to update that in the SEVIS system.

Can your family come? Your spouse and children can! They will get an M-2 visa, which is linked to your visa. If you get an extension, so do they; if you go out of status, so do they. M-2 spouses cannot work or enroll in an academic course load, but they can attend recreational or vocational classes. M-2 minor children can go to school K-12 (either public or vocational).

Optional Practical Training, what is it? It is a way for you to get paid, practical experience (in the subject matter you studied), for a limited amount of time after you graduate. You are eligible for one month of authorization for every four months you were studying in your program, up to six additional months. For example, if your program was exactly one year or twelve months, you would be allowed three months of authorization for paid work.

M-3 Visa for Commuter Students: If you are a Mexican or Canadian student who has been accepted to attend a non-academic or vocational school in the U.S., this visa might be better than an M-1 depending on where your school is. The idea behind this visa is to allow students who live close to the border, to commute to school in the United States. There are additional limitations, you cannot live in the U.S. at any time on this visa, and you cannot apply for status for family members. However it is an easier visa to obtain, since you do not need to prove financial support (because you will not be living in the U.S.),  and you can even attend school part-time on the M-3.

If you want to learn new practical skills for a career or profession in the U.S., then an M visa might be the best way! Please contact us to help make your process quick and smooth.

Can I leave the country and return on a student visa?

Yes! You should make sure you have all your documents with you (passport and I-20 at least). You will also need a travel endorsement signature. That is a signature from the International Student Affairs staff at your school on the second page of your original I-20 or DS-2019. The signature proves that you are maintaining your status, and this will be checked by an immigration official when you re-enter the U.S. after traveling abroad.

Will I and my dependents have to be interviewed?

You will most certainly need an interview. You will have to go to the embassy or consulate nearest you within 120 days of your program start. In general, anyone coming to the U.S. on any kind of student visa, or student visa dependent, will have to be interviewed if they are between ages 14 and 79. Sometimes those aged 13 and younger, and those aged 80 and older will need to be interviewed only if requested by the embassy/consulate, but that is not the standard practice.

What if my English needs some improvement?

Well, it depends on what program you are applying for. If you are applying for an English language intensive program, then that is fine, since the whole point is for a language immersion experience! For a J-1 visa, you need enough language skills to participate in whatever program you choose, so it is dependent on the needs of the program. In general, aside from a language-intensive program, your English skills should be high enough that you do not struggle in the program. Especially if you are trying to earn a degree!

Can I drive in the U.S.?

Yes, you can! You need to get a driver’s license in the state you are living. You should wait at least ten days after you arrive in the U.S. so that all of your information is updated in the various systems. The specific procedure varies from state to state, so you should look up your state’s requirements. You will almost certainly need your passport, your I-20, and proof of residence. Proof of residence means proof that you live in that state (not in your home country)–but what is actually required might be different in different states, so you should check with your state’s DMV.

Is there a limit on how many people can get a student visa per year?

There is no numerical limit! You have to meet the various requirements of the visa and your program, but the government does not have a set limit.

Contact Attorney Igor Litvak

    Becoming a US citizen entails specific rights, duties, and the following benefits: consular protection outside the United States; the ability to sponsor relatives living abroad; the ability to invest in the US real property without triggering additional taxes; transmitting US citizenship to children; protection from deportation and others. U.S. law permits multiple citizenship. A citizen of another country naturalized as a U.S. citizen may retain his previous citizenship

    Once you assemble and upload all required documents, we will check if the evidence is correct and will provide a cover letter.


    So how is it possible that you could be a citizen, and not even know it? Well, one way to…
    Read more
    The process of Naturalization basically requires, meeting one of the various requirements for obtaining Citizenship, and then filing an application…
    Read more
    Official reasons for denial of the N-400 or application for citizenshipBut before we do, let’s summarize the legal or “official”…
    Read more
    Write a review
    Джума Мыратгелдиев
    Джума Мыратгелдиев
    Great attorney, easy to work with, highly recommend, my case was dismissed Thank you so much Igor LITVAK
    Really helpful good lawyer
    Nida Kumar
    Nida Kumar
    Mr. Igor is one of the best lawyer, I have ever met. He had been so kind and full of understanding. Had a privilege to hire him to represent us in federal court. And he did everything possible, to get us out of the trouble. A true man of words. Highly recommended.
    Alexandra Dordzhieva
    Alexandra Dordzhieva
    Good lawyer, helped us in a case
    Karl Mukaz
    Karl Mukaz
    Had the best experience with Igor! Fast, reliable and professional! Highly recommend!
    Jekaterina Shapovalova
    Jekaterina Shapovalova
    Igor Litvak is an outstanding lawyer in New York, and I am beyond impressed with his level of professionalism and expertise. I recently had the privilege of working with him on a complex legal matter, and his knowledge, dedication, and attention to detail were simply unparalleled. From our initial consultation to the resolution of my case, Mr. Litvak went above and beyond to ensure that I understood all aspects of the legal process and was always kept up to date on the status of my case. He provided sound advice, was always available to answer any questions, and took a personalized approach to my legal needs. Mr. Litvak is not only a brilliant attorney, but he is also an exceptional communicator and an empathetic advocate. He is a true professional who genuinely cares about his clients and their well-being, and I would highly recommend him to anyone in need of legal services. If you want an attorney who is not only knowledgeable, but also compassionate, diligent, and committed to achieving the best possible outcome for his clients, then look no further than Mr. Litvak. He is simply the best.
    renier valle
    renier valle
    A very good attorney, I highly recommand him, i had a major criminal case which he resolved with no record. Just a great attorney.
    The best attorney you can get, he will fight for you like he did for me, he was also very detailed on the case and always answering his call, you actually get to have his cell phone. Highly recommended.
    lady jackey
    lady jackey
    Very reliable, and friendly staff, they were very patient with me throughout my vwa case It was a pleasure working with them
    Scroll to top